If you can drink it, put it on your skin, or take a bath in it, there’s likely a CBD-infused version of it. Two of the leading product categories in the CBD world are topicals like creams and lotions and CBD oil. While both may contain the cannabinoid, the two products have diverging use cases and end goals. In this article, we’ll explore the difference between the two categories and help you choose the best items for your wellness goals.
What are CBD creams?
A CBD cream is any topical product infused with Cannabidiol (CBD). Creams are just one such topical; lotions, serums, and muscle rubs are a sampling of the many related products you’ll find. These creams are applied to calm skin and leave you feeling refreshed, rejuvenated, and glowing.
What is CBD oil?
This extract, which contains high levels of CBD, is taken from hemp plants and incorporated into other products. Harvested hemp goes through an extraction process that pulls out all the plant’s compounds, including CBD, minor cannabinoids, terpenes, flavonoids, and trace amounts of Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) which occur naturally in hemp.
At Prima, we obtain our CBD using a supercritical CO2 extraction. We then gently refine this extract to remove THC and other undesired materials such as waxes. The result is a broad spectrum hemp extract, which retains all the desired substances and removes all the undesired components without subjecting the extract to heat or harsh alcohols.
In the marketplace, you may see CBD oil on the label of products that are actually CBD tinctures. Tinctures are CBD oil extract mixed with a carrier oil designed to be consumed orally. These tinctures are sometimes called oil because they take on the appearance of oil.
How these products are put to use
CBD creams are applied directly to your skin. Depending on the product you select, it may be specially-formulated for certain parts of your body or for time of day. For instance, our R&R cream can be applied all over your arms, legs, and glutes.
CBD oil is consumed orally. Typically, this product comes in a dropper bottle; to consume CBD oil, you’d fill the dropper with the desired amount and then dispense it into your mouth.
Which other ingredients can you find in CBD creams?
At Prima, our CBD creams pair this cannabinoid with other complementary, beneficial ingredients that help boost hydration and help improve skin’s appearance. Oils, extracts, botanicals, and more can be found right alongside CBD in these formulations, identifying which natural compounds can elevate CBD’s effect on your skin.
- Hemp seed oil: This extract from hemp seeds — which does not contain CBD — is a dream moisturizer, hydrating your skin without clogging your pores.
- Tea tree oil: This oil can also combat the appearance of oily skin.
- Avocado oil. Like its source fruit, avocado oil overflows with nutrients. We include it in our Night Magic facial oil so that your skin experiences the soothing properties associated with Vitamins A, D, and E, not to mention antioxidants, oleic acid, and omega-3 fatty acids.
- Prickly pear oil: Not only is this cactus-derived oil moisturizing, its significant volume of nutrients like Vitamin K and Vitamin E can support a bright and healthy glow.
- Rose hip fruit extract: Phytosterols, tocopherols, minerals, essential fatty acids, and phenolic compounds can all be sourced from the seeds of the rose bush, and infused into products like our Night Magic face serum.
- Rosemary extract: The carnosic acid in rosemary can help lock in moisture.
- Peppermint oil. This essential oil certainly has a pleasant and calming scent, but it truly shines when folded in with a CBD cream, due to its cooling properties.
How to choose the right CBD product for you
No two CBD creams are alike. The variations in quality, source, and potency vary widely between the different tubes and jars on the shelf. When selecting the right new CBD product for your skincare or bodycare routine, be on the lookout for these markers of a good CBD cream:
- Prioritize organic ingredients and processes. When looking for CBD products, you should prioritize hemp grown according to organic principles. This ensures that your CBD is sourced from hemp grown without synthetic or harsh additives. Our hemp is sustainably harvested without use of pesticides or herbicides. We test each batch to ensure that the final product is pesticide-free, too.
- Look for potency. While two CBD product containers may be of the same volume or size, they may contain different amounts of CBD cream. Check the label for the number of milligrams of CBD per container, so you know you’re getting a significant amount of CBD in your product.
- Seek out test results. All CBD products should include a batch number that you can use to determine where and when your product was made. Additionally, some CBD products – ours included – include QR codes on the packaging so that you can quickly look up your product’s test results. Our intensive testing processes check for multiple toxins in addition to verifying our CBD potency and our hemp extract’s terpene content.
CBD cream — and more — with Prima
When searching for the right CBD cream or topical, look for a formula that not only has CBD, but brings along with it an array of science-backed ingredients that support healthy and radiant skin from head to toe. It’s not enough to pair the right ingredients, either — those ingredients need to be ethically sourced and thoroughly tested for potency and purity. Whether a silky body butter pairs this cannabinoid and nourishing shea butter for ultra-hydration or a rejuvenating serum unites CBD with Vitamin B3 for an even skin tone, we at Prima have the right CBD cream or topical to restore balance and harmony to your body’s biggest organ.