As we get older, fine lines and deeper wrinkles may feel like an inevitability. Truth be told, there’s certainly no shortage of products out there purporting to reverse the hands of time, and improve the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. And with the rising popularity of Cannabidiol (CBD) in topicals, it’s only natural to wonder if this phytocannabinoid derived from hemp plants can be an anti-wrinkle wonder, too.
Does CBD oil work for wrinkles? How does CBD improve the overall appearance of the skin? In this article, we’ll review how CBD interacts with the skin and helps support health and radiance, from head to toe.
How do wrinkles form?
Wrinkles are a natural occurrence as we age. A dip in the skin’s moisture content and elasticity causes those fine lines and deeper wrinkles to form along the eyes, lips, and face.
Some of the drivers behind wrinkles are genetic, while others are a product of environment and other external factors. Spending excessive time outdoors without adequate sun protection is one of the leading causes of wrinkles. Air pollutants also contribute to premature skin aging, according to a 2019 study published in Frontiers in Pharmacology.
How does CBD skincare work?
The endocannabinoid system (ECS) is the body system responsible for keeping us in balance. (In fact, all mammals have an endocannabinoid system.) Our bodies produce endocannabinoids, which are compounds that interact directly with the ECS. Phytocannabinoids like CBD, sourced from plants, act similarly to the compounds the body produces naturally and also interact with the ECS.
The ECS is very much connected to the skin; a study published in Molecules in 2019 concluded that this system is “deeply involved” in the skin’s homeostasis, or natural state of being. That means a balanced ECS and happy skin are directly connected.
How does CBD support healthy-looking skin?
- CBD is soothing. Whether you have ultra-dry skin, oily skin, or your skin falls somewhere in between, this phytocannabinoid is non-irritating and has a calming effect. Calm skin means happy skin, and its vibrant and healthy look is evident.
- CBD has antioxidant properties. High levels of antioxidants in whole plant hemp extract can reduce the visible signs of aging on the delicate skin on the face and neck.
It’s important to note that CBD and hemp seed oil, while they come from the same plant and are both beneficial for the skin, are two different products with separate goals. Hemp seed oil is derived from the seeds of the hemp plant and does not contain any cannabinoids. It contains high levels of essential fatty acids like omega 3s and omega 6s — in fact, hemp seed oil is one of the best non-animal sources of these acids. Many of them, such as gamma-linolenic acid (GLA) and alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), are celebrated for their skin-moisturizing properties.
Many of our products at Prima are formulated with both CBD and hemp seed oil to maximize this moisturizing potential. Both ingredients can be found in our Night Magic face oil, Skin Therapy body butter, Soak It In bath gem, and The Daily vegan capsule.
What CBD skincare products are available?
The world of CBD skincare is vast and ever-growing. These topicals are formulated to support different needs for different areas of the body, like supporting hydrated skin. Oftentimes, these products are also paired with complementary oils, extracts, phytosterols, and other compounds that enhance the phytocannabinoid extract. Here’s a closer look at the CBD skincare products you might come across:
- Facial oil: This topical is typically applied to the face and neck — areas prone to wrinkles — to improve skin’s appearance, infusing the skin with hydrating botanicals. Our award-winning Night Magic CBD facial oil has been clinically proven to boost the skin’s visible brightness and radiance: an independent study found that 93% noticed an overall improvement in skin appearance, while 86% saw a noticeable improvement to fine lines and wrinkles around the eyes.
- Body butter: This topical makes for an elevated hydrating experience from head to toe. Products like our Skin Therapy body butter fold in CBD with hydrating shea butter, jojoba oil, and hemp seed oil. Apply it to the arms, legs, and anywhere else in need of TLC.
- Facial moisturizers: CBD can help improve the appearance of hydrated skin*, making it a go-to for those seeking a visibly soft and smooth face. Oftentimes, these moisturizers pair CBD with adaptogens, hyaluronic acid, and other beauty-boosting ingredients for the ultimate glow-up. Our The Afterglow CBD face cream is also clinically proven to help improve skin hydration by 35%, with 9 out of 10 study participants reporting that they noticed a difference in skin hydration.
- Bath bombs: Soaking in a hot bath after a long day or to cap off a relaxing weekend is only elevated with the addition of CBD. In combination with the right formulation of minerals and essential oils, a bath bomb creates a fully immersive, whole-body experience that leaves skin feeling renewed. Our CBD bath gem combines this phytocannabinoid with hydrating minerals and oils — drop one into the bath and experience the difference.
CBD oil for wrinkles: Look for clean and conscious
When looking for the right CBD product to help improve the appearance of wrinkles, look for something that’s thoroughly tested, screened, and proven. Our award-winning Night Magic oil has demonstrated results from an independent study of 30 women over 8 weeks, which found that Night Magic hydrates and calms the skin.
Night Magic blends CBD with prickly pear oil that’s more moisturizing than Vitamin E, fatty acid-boasting hemp seed oil, and rosehip extract that targets signs of aging. These sources of essential fatty acids, antioxidants and minerals reduce the appearance of fine lines and impart a youthful, hydrated glow.
Just like all of our CBD products, the whole plant hemp extract used in Night Magic is sourced from family-owned farms that use organic, sustainable farming practices. Our extraction process uses no harsh chemicals, while the products are tested at three separate stages for toxins and many other contaminants. The end result: the cleanest possible CBD product — and the youthful glow we’re all searching for.